Quote

Quote

Monday, July 28, 2014

Pre-Trip Thoughts


I’m currently a student at the University of Wisconsin - Green Bay aspiring to make a difference. I joined Habitat for Humanity to give people a sense of hope and happiness through my selfless acts. In just a couple days now, July 30th - August 9th, I will be traveling to Manila, Philippines as a volunteer to impact the lives of many. I will be building houses within the community for victims of the typhoons that have struck the Philippines over the years. In order to replenish what they have lost, I have been fundraising the past couple months. I’ve managed to raise a total of $5,243 - that’s more than it costs to build a home in the Philippines!

I’m so blessed for all the help I have received from donors and supporters; I truly would not be able to participate in such an amazing opportunity without the generous donations from so many incredible people who believe in the cause I’m supporting. My family and friends have been an outstanding support system throughout this entire process; helping me fundraise, organizing a car wash, and pushing me to achieve my goals. I can’t thank them enough for this.

As I make my 19 hour journey to the Philippines on Wednesday, I will be thinking about every single person who made this mission trip possible for me. I’m looking forward to the unforgettable experience and memories I will make over these next several days, and more importantly, the impact I will make on those affected by this disaster; whether that be families whose homes were damaged, or families whose homes were completely destroyed.

Some people say that you can't make a difference for everyone - but I will make a difference for some, and that is a truly gratifying feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment