Quote

Quote

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Day 3 Build

It's a great feeling seeing progress in the work we're doing! Today the support beams went up from the rebar we cut yesterday. This morning I was still digging in the holes where the support beams are put, but this time I actually got to use a jackhammer. After that I was bending the rebar that's made into the support beams. My favorite task today was making cement, which I got to do later on in the day. A group of us got to mix it all up and then shovel it into buckets to pour into the holes. Of course the day wouldn't be complete without spending time with the kids. They were so much fun again today - as they are every day! It's really precious how they follow me around while I work saying my name, and when they ask to play I just can't turn them down. We played tag again, volleyball, temple run, and they also taught me some new games. Whenever we're not playing games they'll come up to me and ask to take pictures. In some of the pictures they were throwing up the peace sign! I really can't get over how such simple things make them so happy. It seems like it makes their entire day when I take time away from working just to play with them. Sometimes they'll even tap my shoulder and say "you're it" to try to get me to play again. This is what I look forward to most every day. I'm sure tomorrow it will be even more fun, because every day they just warm my heart more and more. To top the night off, I worked up enough courage to eat balut. It's a delicacy here that they love to eat. The dictionary definition for it is: "a developing duck embryo that is boiled alive and eaten in the shell." It really wasn't terrible because it just tasted like an egg, but I don't feel a need to eat one again now that I've tried it. I'll stick to my over-easy fully cooked eggs for breakfast from here on out. 





















No comments:

Post a Comment