Quote

Quote

Friday, August 8, 2014

Last Night & Travel Updates

After being awake for nearly 30 hours I'm about ready to pass out. Last night we all went to a huge mall together in the city since it was our last night here. We did some shopping and a few others played basketball at the courts. When we came back it was really late and we all hung out together with the Japanese students. We decided to pull an all-nighter because we had to be in the lobby by 3am and it was already midnight by the time we got back to our hotel rooms and showered. We also wanted to be able to sleep for the entire plane ride home. Unfortunately, when we got to the airport we received bad news. Our flight to Japan was going to go right through Typhoon Halong. It wasn't safe to fly out, so we're stuck in the Philippines for a few more days. The earliest flight we could get isn't until Monday. After making the arrangements, we then had to find a way back to our hotel, where we tentatively booked rooms in anticipation that this would happen. However, we no longer had a ride back. Our tour guide provided by Habitat had already left and his phone was off. Since taxis aren't very safe here, we had no other way of transportation until our tour guide answered his phone, which didn't happen to be until about 5 hours later. We all sat in the airport and waited, disordered and fatigued. Everyone just needed a bed at that point. Now that we're all finally back to the hotel we can sleep. The only reason I'm awake right now is because it's 11:00am and really bright in my room. Also, there's construction going on right outside of my hotel room window. It's not the greatest situation, but I'm thankful that I can at least feel comfort in knowing that I'm safe. If we would've taken our flight to Japan, we would've been much worse off. It landed in Hong Kong because the typhoon got too strong, and now everyone on the plane is stuck there until Monday. Even though it's been an inconvenience all day, I'm going to make the best out of my last few days here. I came here to make a difference and improve the housing situation in Quezon City, and I can honestly say that I feel our entire group has done just that for the community we were building for. God has a plan, and this little delay is part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment